For small businesses, coaches, consultants, online trainers and other client-based companies, email marketing will forever be THE best way to secure deals and opportunities.
But once you get someone on your email list, turning them into a customer or client requires a well-planned and strategic approach.
Nurturing subscribers to eventually sell to them has forever been intiidating to me. I had an account with Mail Chimp email marketing platform when I first started and got the free version, but using the power of Pinterest and my blog, I grew my email subscriber list to 1,000 and outgrew the free plan without making a penny.
Eventually, I learned after watching quite a few YouTube videos, attending more than my fair share of online webinears, and joining a few social media-based communities on Faceboo, Clubhouse and other places, some free and some paid (I highly recommend Meagan Williamson’s community which you can join here).
Now, I have earned over 6 figures from selling products and securing clients via my email funnel and system.
Automation and Email Sequences are the crux of an email marketing system. You set up automated email sequences, also known as autoresponders, that trigger specific emails based on subscriber actions or time intervals. This feature enables you to nurture leads, deliver valuable content, and build stronger relationships with your audience, all while saving time and effort.
Here is the system that 6–7 figure earning marketers use to convert their email subscribers into customers:
1.Build a targeted email list: Ensure that your email list consists of subscribers who are genuinely interested in your products or services. Offer valuable content and incentives to encourage visitors to subscribe to your list. You can give away a cheat sheet, a guide, or some other free piece of content that will be exchanged for their email.
2. Segment your email list: Categorize your subscribers based on their interests, preferences, demographics, or purchase history. This allows you to send more personalized and relevant emails, increasing the chances of converting them into customers. The easiest tool for doing this is ConvertKit. It is as simple as adding a tag to each subscriber depending on how they joined your list.
A key aspect of ConvertKit’s functionality lies in its ability to help you build and manage your email list efficiently. You can easily create customizable forms and landing pages to capture subscribers and segment them based on their interests and behaviors.
By segmenting your audience, you can deliver highly targeted content, resulting in better engagement and conversion rates.
3. Create compelling email subject line: The subject line is the first thing subscribers see, so make it attention-grabbing and compelling. Use action-oriented language, personalized messages, or a sense of urgency to entice subscribers to open your emails.
Once you have someone’s attention via their email, you must get them to click when they receive a message from you and that starts with an enaging and persuasive email subject line. I like to keep a “swipe” copy of emails I get from others that catch my attention because if it was intriguing enough to get me to pay attention, it would do the same to others.
4. Create compelling emial content: Once you secure the click with the great email subject line, hit them with lots of value including exclusive offers and more. Do not simply sell or talk about yourself. In fact, your first few email communication should only be adding value or offering insights or information.
Nurturing a lead requires boosting that “know, like and trust” factor, the three roadblocks to selling. The more value you add to your subscriber’s lives, the more likely they will open up subsequent emails from you and start to like you, later trust you and eventually purchase from you.
5. Implement effective call-to-action (CTA): Every email should have a clear and prominent call-to-action that directs subscribers to take the desired action. Whether it’s making a purchase, signing up for a free trial, or requesting more information, make the CTA stand out and easy to follow.
This step is certainly NOT easy. That’s why I love ConvertKit’s templates! I’ve been a user since the early years of this app when it had limited functionality. Boy has that changed. These days, there is a visual Email Editor which provides an intuitive interface for creating stunning and responsive emails.
With a drag-and-drop builder, you can easily customize your emails by adding images, videos, buttons, and other interactive elements. The responsive design ensures that your emails look great on any device, optimizing the user experience for your subscribers.
Once I have a nice looking design, I am more confident that my message witll be well received.
6. Offer exclusive promotions and discounts: People love a deal and to feel special. If and when you can, offer special promotions, discounts, or exclusive offers to your email subscribers. Doing this creates a sense of exclusivity and encourages them to take advantage of the opportunity.
7. Nurture leads with targeted campaigns: When you hear the term ‘nurture” or “nurture sequence” in email marketing, it is just that. Make your subscribers feel supported and encouraged with your email communication. Make sure you address their pain points and offer solutions. During this process, you get to showcase what it’s like to work with you or what they can expect in your paid services or products.
Also, for my email marketing system of choice, ConvertKit, personalizing each subscriber is a kety. The platform allows you to dynamically customize email content based on subscriber data, such as their name, location, or past interactions. By tailoring my messages to individual subscribers, I can create a more personalized and engaging experience.
This element is essential to the nurture sequence.
GET CONVERT KIT TODAY
8. Incorporate social proof: Social proof is the evidence that potential clients need to see to assure them that you’re the real deal. These come in the form of testimonials, reviews, case studies, or success stories from satisfied customers in your emails. Social proof helps build trust and credibility, making subscribers more likely to convert into customers.
Ever so often, in your email, include social proof.
9. Optimize for mobile devices: A lot of new businesses fail to test their emails to ensure that they are mobile-friendly. I’ve made that grave mistake before. The fact of the matter is that a significant portion of subscribers access emails on their mobile devices. You should test your emails across different devices and screen sizes to ensure a seamless user experience.
Get an email system that lets you do this and send yourself a test email. I do that each time with mine as it is built in as part of ConvertKit.
10. Monitor and analyze email performance: Track and analyze the performance of your email campaigns. Look at metrics such as open rates, click-through rates, conversion rates, and revenue generated. Identify areas for improvement and make adjustments accordingly.
Please do not skip this step. I know that numbers can be intimidating to some but you really need to make part of your day include data analysis.
To measure the success of your email marketing campaigns, your email marketing software or platform should provide you wits in-depth analytics and reporting features. They can track key metrics such as open rates, click-through rates, conversion rates, and subscriber growth. These insights enable you to evaluate the effectiveness of your strategies and make data-driven decisions to optimize your email marketing performance.
Finally, when you do get a customer or client from your email marketing efforts, make sure you provide them with exceptional customer service!
Once subscribers become customers you have to respond quickly to their inquiries, and go above and beyond so they have a positive experience throughout their journey with your brand.
Satisfied customers are more likely to become repeat customers and refer others.
Remember, building a relationship with your subscribers is crucial. Consistently provide value, engage with them, and establish trust.
By following these steps and continuously optimizing your email marketing strategy, you can increase your chances of turning email subscribers into loyal customers.
Again, I want to encourage you to give ConvertKit a try!
It has seamless integration and E-commerce Capabilities.
ConvertKit integrates seamlessly with various third-party tools and platforms, enhancing its functionality and allowing you to streamline your marketing efforts.
Whether you’re using e-commerce platforms like Shopify or WordPress, CRM systems like Salesforce, or landing page builders like Leadpages, ConvertKit offers integrations that enable you to centralize your data and automate your marketing workflows.
Jay Jay Ghatt is also editor at Techyaya.com, founder of the JayJayGhatt.com and JayJayGhatt.com where she teaches online creators how to navigate digital entrepreneurship and offers Do-It-For-You Blogging Service. She manages her lifestyle sites BellyitchBlog, Jenebaspeaks and JJBraids.com and is the founder of BlackWomenTech.com 200 Black Women in Tech On Twitter. Her biz podcast 10 Minute Podcast is available on iTunes and Player.fm. Follow her on Twitter at @Jenebaspeaks. Buy her templates over at her legal and business templates on Etsy shop!